Wednesday, October 31, 2007

US Recruiting vs EMEA Recruiting

Hi everyone.

This is my first post on this blog. I thank Ted for inviting me to participate.

Briefly, I am a 15 year recruiting veteran in the U.S. I have a passion for what I do and I am always looking to learn more and grow. I have emersed myself in continuing recruitment education here is the U.S., but for the last 3 years I have been on the search to learn about recruiting practices abroad. I have been taking language classes and researching as much as I can about the various countries I would like to eventually recruit in.

I read many forums and blogs and the general consensus is that there are many differences in recruiting practices here and abroad. I have reached out to many Recruiters via Linked In and ERE to try to determine exactly what the differences are. I have learned in my career that there is no one correct way to do things. Even though I have been recruiting for 15 years I am always learning new things. There doesn't seem to be much on the internet regarding recruitment practices outside of the U.S.

If there are a few people out there who would be willing to share their knowledge on this blog I would truly appreciate it. One point that is constantly made is the availability of resources similar to ERE is limited. What can be done to rectify this? Has anyone tried to create forums to rectify this? What could I, as a U.S. Recruiter contribute to such a forum? How can we begin to assess the clear and not so clear differences in practices? What are some typical processes for the recruitment function in organizations abroad? Have there been Recruiters who have patterned their recruitment practices after U.S. companies? What are some things that can be done here in the U.S. that are not acceptable in EMEA? Are the internal recruiting teams actively involved or do most companies rely on third party agencies? If agencies are used, how involved is the in-house team?

As you can see, I am full of questions and have a tremendous thirst for knowledge. :) Of course, I'm not asking for direct answers to those questions right now. But they are at the forefront of my mind when I do research. I am sure there are others who share the same quest as I (on both sides of the pond). I would love to see a collaborative effort to bring cross-international training to fruition for both sides. SHRM is a great forum, but I find it limiting in the recruitment area. So let's start talking about it. You never know where it may lead.

I would love to be able to exchange ideas and offer advice to my fellow recruiters. I thank Ted for allowing me to join this blog and I am looking forward to learning and sharing.

Adrienne Graham
Atlanta, GA, USA

1 comment:

Ted Meulenkamp said...

Hi Talent Diva

thanks for posting on the blog and your comment is precisely the reason for this initiative.

It would take me a bit too much time to answer all of your questions but the big difference is that in Europe you (pretty obvious) have to deal with many different languages, cultures, habits and legal constraints. The one size fits all approach is not working here. I'm not an expert on staffing in the US but I assume there are only subtle difference between recruiting in CA and Texas?

My experience is that despite the differences in recruiting ground there are only some differences in the process but they are not mind blowing. I just did a lean process for our US team and found that there are difference in tactics but not so much in the process it self, that is until you reach the offer extending and on boarding where there are some significant differences.

I would love to hear more of your specific questions and of course learn more about how we can share some of the best practices.

Ted's shared items